Youth Services Assistant
Description: This position is for an enthusiastic and warm person who enjoys children and young adults, values relationships with them and their families, has a broad knowledge of children’s and young adult literature, and thrives on inventing innovative programming.
Three to five years of experience in children’s library services in a public library is preferred. Early literacy knowledge is a must. An ideal candidate will have the capability to work with a minimum of supervision and enjoy a fast-paced environment.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Tasks and responsibilities include assisting the Youth Services Librarian with a variety of tasks:
- Assist in planning diverse programming for children and their caregivers, including story times, music and movement, crafts, technology programs and any other activities that support literacy.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of the Summer Reading Program.
- Provide reference and reader’s advisory services to children and their caregivers.
- Maintain an active knowledge of our collection to assist patrons in the selection and location of books and other materials.
- Make the children’s areas inviting to youth through the use of themes and decorations.
- Assemble and arrange materials for juvenile displays.
- Assist in the facilitation of First Lego League programs.
Qualifications:Three to five years of experience in children’s library services in a public library is preferable. Early literacy knowledge is a must. An ideal candidate will have the capability to work with a minimum of supervision and enjoy a fast-paced environment.
Part-time hours of 15-25 hours a week with days, evenings and rotating Saturdays. Starting wage: $17.70/hour.
The Hooksett Library actively supports the professional growth and development of all staff members and is a strong proponent of the NHLA Paralibrarian program. We strive for a professional, fun, and team-based work culture.
Please send resume with letter of interest to:
Heather Rainier, Library Director
Hooksett Public Library
31 Mount Saint Mary’s Way, Hooksett, NH 03106
Applications accepted until April 20, 2023 or position is filled.